Monday 8 September 2014

The meaning of words

I really like words. Aside from textiles and drama (I managed to sign up for a costume design module) at school, English Literature was my absolute favourite. I think the big appeal was that you were able to explore the way language can be used to different effect. It seemed so creative and open-ended that you could actually paint a picture with words. When I am designing I often start with a piece of creative writing to get my ideas down. Words give us such feeling and emotion.

My love for words certainly helped with my university studies, as costume design often directly relates to translating written text into something 3D and touchable. I think we learn heaps from reading, and definitely from reading varied sources. So maybe put down your fashion mag and pick up a classic like 1984, or put down the theology papers and pick up Bridget Jones. You are guaranteed to learn something.

This post is actually about certain words I have had used to describe me and my character. Words that seemed so 'un-cool' and undesirable whilst at school, and words that I have only just started to appreciate.

1. Kind
Being called 'kind' in the school yearbook was a way of saying that you hadn't done anything memorable to have something else written about you. It was the word teachers used to fill in a blank gap. Maybe they chose the word 'kind' though, because as adults they valued and already understood the importance of kindess. Now my yearbook is hidden somewhere under the bed, but I have a feeling (along with the terrible haircut) I was described as something like 'kooky, fuzzy, motherly'. As I look back now, I would much have preferred to have been called kind. When I left the last place I worked, I was asked to give a piece of life advice, I said something along the lines of 'always be kind, you have no idea what that other person is coping with right now, and you might be able to add a little spot of sunshine for them'. I understand 'kind' so much more now than I did as a teenager, and I can safely say that everyone should strive for being able to be called kind.

2. Sensible
I wanted to be wild and fun and outrageous. Being called sensible did my head in! How could these people not see how brilliantly ridiculous I was? I think the turning point was when my best friend called me sensible, and then explained what she meant. It didn't have any effect on my fun capacity, but it did mean that I was the kind of person to have my head screwed on enough that I wouldn't forget my keys to creep back in after a late night so as not to disturb everyone. It also means that on a night out I always have a £20 stashed in my bra, so if I want to leave at any point in the night, I can do just that and wont have spent all my money and have to rely on others. It's a great life tip, I advise it highly. Being sensible is something I had to learn when I was pretty young, but it's done me well. Also, being sensible has zero impact on how 'fun' you are.

3. Mature
'Oh you're so grown up for your age'. Great. Just bloomin' great. So I can't hide the fact that I am tall-ish, and don't really have any young girly features about me, but you don't need to make the snap decision that I'm mature. This one kind of ties in with being sensible. I still sometimes struggle with the fact that people call me mature, but they're right. I multitask lots every day, as many people do, but this has made me grow up a certain amount at a quicker pace. Being mature also means that I am able to switch between different personas when need be, dependent on who I'm speaking to. Maturity ties in pretty nicely with independence.

So I now strive to be the kindest I can possibly be, whilst being sensible with a splash of maturity. But, another word I picked up along the way is 'authentic'. And it's my fave. When you find those people you can be your Authentic Self with, you don't need to justify your quirks.

Authenticity is being your genuine original self, without apologies. Embrace it as a person, and it will follow you through to your design work and everyday life

No comments:

Post a Comment