Monday 22 September 2014

Creativity in a suitcase

So I guess I always had a bit of a fear. The fear that I could only be creative in one place: the kitchen of my childhood home.

As a child I was always super creative, which thanks to my parents seemed encouraging of this. The philosophy that a kitchen was to be a messy place so long as it was tided away after was the best. It showed me that creativity wasn't necessarily a fragile or organised thing. Sometimes *POW* the creativity strikes, and normally a trail of chaos forms in it's path. That's one of my favourite side-effects.

So it started with finger painting, and potato stamping and then I drew a seal on the wall once which I hadn't twigged was out of bounds. I soon learnt that drawing on the walls wasn't what we do. But it was a very good seal. I progressed to dressmaking and 'costume' making before I had learnt all of my times tables, and it seemed like the kitchen was the place where everything and anything could happen. 

As a teenager I did my college work in the very same kitchen, and as the portfolios grew bigger and the projects advanced it seemed like this was the place for me. I had access to a computer, the radio, a table, a set of drawers full of art materials and my sewing machine was constantly set up. Everything I could possibly need was around me. Then I applied for university.

There was no way I was going to be living at home. After turning down an interview at Wimbledon partly on the basis that the student life of Birmingham had stolen my heart already, a bizarre thought crossed my mind. Could I be creative outside the kitchen? What if I went off to university and I was rubbish? My whole surroundings would be totally different, I wouldn't have the access to everything I would need and maybe my creativity would just frazzle out.

But it didn't. I soon realised that my creativity wasn't linked to an environment or a place, but that creativity is just an integral part of my being. Drop me on an island in the middle of nowhere and I can guarantee finding some way of stitching leaves together so I can sport a fetching bikini with matching headdress. My creativity is like a little internal suitcase I carry around with me, and sometimes I need to remind myself of this. It is still a concept that occasionally freaks me out, maybe my version of performance anxiety?

Sometimes we convince ourselves of silly wonderments as a way to prevent us from taking risks, and we could all do with the occasional helpful nudge from time to time.

Those who dare, win. Right?...

Rocking my Little Mermaid Costume



1 comment:

  1. What's more no one can ever take it away from you either. It is part of you and it goes everywhere you do XX.

    ReplyDelete